.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Altered dreams

Altered art by Vera Lucia Emerim. Altered books, card holders,albums, ATC, collage and other mixed media artworks.

Name:
Location: Araranguá, Brazil

Monday, November 05, 2007

ALTERED BOOK SAINT MARY MAGDALENE

This Altered Book about Saint Mary Magdalene is the culmination of months of research and spiritual growth. I became very inspired by Mary Magdalene in the beginning of this year and did some paintings about her. Meanwhile I was researching all the artistic renderings of the saint down the ages. I became very acquainted with the accounts about her life and the paintings done by many of the greatest artists of all time. At some point I decided that I had to put all my research into a medium that is familiar and very dear to me, and it is altered books.


I used several reproductions of the most beautiful renderings of Mary Magdalene, backgrounds made from Brazilian papers, golden inks, crackles, acrylic paints, and quotations from the Gospels. The pages are sturdy and heavy.

The cover is done with transparent crackles and a niche/frame to embellish the tender picture of Mary. It is all painted in gold to simulate old metal. (You can find a tutorial about it in this blog.)

















Click Here to see this Altered Book at eBay!

5 Comments:

Blogger Scarlett said...

Gorgeous work. Mary of Magdala is my patron saint. I often look to her for inspiration and courage.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stunning! the work and research done by you is evident in this book that you have obviously done with such love.
I think that it is truly spiritual and you are to be congratulated, and we should give THANKS to you for sharing it with us all

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maravilhoso Vera, adorei a capa do livro, ficou linda demais !
Bela inspiração, parabéns !
Beijos !

1:26 PM  
Blogger LilianPacheco said...

Belíssimo , Vera !
Ao vivo então... deve ser demais mesmo !
bjs
Lilian

3:58 PM  
Blogger STOTT PILATES® Certified said...

Awesome! Truly spiritual.

Gwyn
Spiderbasket

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home